Princess P – 1 year old
My not a baby baby turns 2 this week!! Where has the past year gone?? We had her birthday party this past weekend and I’m going to share all the recipes and fun we had this week but I thought I would take a minute and go back in time a year.
Last year for her 1st birthday we did just a small party with the family. The Hubs made the decision we would do a princess theme for her 1st so I made a pink princess cake.
STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE CAKE W/ CUPCAKE SMASH CAKE
1 package strawberry cake mix
water, oil & eggs called for on cake mix
1 container strawberry icing
1 container chocolate icing
princess stencil (or stencil of choice)
Wilton Decorating Gel – I used Violet
1. Prepare cake batter according to package directions using 2 8-inch rounds. Don’t pour the batter in the pans yet.
2. Fill one individual cupcake tin 3/4 of the way with batter.
3. Pour the rest of the batter evenly between the two rounds.
4. Bake the cupcake in a muffin tin and the two rounds according to package directions. Let cool. I put everything in at the same time and just pulled the muffin tin out after about 10-15 minutes and let the rounds finish cooking.
5. Once the rounds are cooled, level each cake.
6. Spread the chocolate frosting on top of one of the cakes. Use as much or as little frosting as you would like. I used almost the whole container and it was almost too much – it almost overpowered the strawberry.
7. Place the other layer on top of the frosting and let it set in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
8. Use the strawberry frosting to frost the cupcake and the top and sides of the cake. Let the icing set in the fridge again for about 20 more minutes.
9. Place the stencil on top of the cake. Trace the stencil using a toothpick. Allow room around the stencil to place the cupcake on top of the cake.
10. Use the decorating gel to color in the stencil markings to make your words or pictures.
11. Once you have completed your decorations, place the cupcake on top of the frosting using a little bit of the decorating gel as ‘glue’.
12. Put the cake back into the fridge so the decorating gel can set.
The Hubs & Me
Princess P checking out her new toys with her cousins
Uncle Wes gave her extra icing!
Bath Time in Aunt Dawn’s sink!