INGREDIENTS FOR CAKE:
1 box chocolate cake mix
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup chocolate milk*
Maraschino cherries – enough to include one with each cupcake – I used 48
INGREDIENTS FOR CHERRY FROSTING:
8 oz sour cream
3/4 of a 8 ounce tub of whipped cream
1 & 1/2 cups powdered sugar
4 tablespoons cherry juice for the jar of Maraschino cherries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a mini muffin tin with baking cups.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, butter, sour cream and milk until blended.
3. Add the cake mix and beat with a mixer on medium speed for about 2 minutes.
4. Fill the baking cups halfway full with the cake mix.
5. Place one cherry in the center of each cupcake.
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cupcake comes out clean – just remember the cherry is there in the middle 🙂
7. Let the cupcake cool for a few minutes in the pan and then allow them to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
While the cupcakes are cooling (or baking, whichever works for you) make your frosting:
1. In a large bowl, combine the sour cream, whipped cream, powdered sugar and cherry juice.
2. Beat with chilled beaters on medium speed until fluffy – it took a few minutes to get it fluffy.
3. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
*You can use regular milk in making the cupcakes – I simply like to use chocolate milk when making a chocolate cake – I think it enhances the chocolate flavor.
Any family food fights in your house?
LIKE Mom on Facebook ~ FOLLOW Mom on Twitter ~ FOLLOW Mom on Pinterest