Cookies | Desserts | Fruits | Link Party
Get Your Chef On ~ Cranberries
ALMOND WHOOPIE PIES WITH CRANBERRY BUTTERCREAM
- 1 box (18.25 ounces) white cake mix
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1/2 cup cranberry juice
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup butter flavored shortening
- 2 pounds powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, eggs, water, butter & almond extract. Batter will be thick.
- Drop the batter by 1/2 tablespoons onto the baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Use the back of a spoon to slightly flatten out the dough.
- Bake the cookies for 8 minutes or until the cookies are set ~ just starting to brown.
- Cool for a minute or two on the baking sheet then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the dried cranberries & cranberry juice in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the berries have softened. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl combine the butter, shortening and vanilla. Beat with a mixer until smooth.
- Add the cranberries with the juice ~ I spooned out the cranberries & added them first then slowly added the juice to not overpower the flavor or make the frosting to runny.
- Beat in the powdered sugar one cup at a time until you reach your desired consistency. I used all but about 1 cup of the two pounds but I like my frosting thick.
- Create your whoopie pies by spreading half of the cookies with a generous spoonful of the cranberry buttercream. Top with the remaining cookies, pressing down lightly to seal.
*I ran my cranberries & the juice through my food processor after they had cooked & cooled to chop them up some but I’m not sure that it would be necessary ~ the mixer chopped them up some too
THIS RECIPE PROUDLY SHARED AT THESE FABULOUS PARTIES
Now be sure to stop by & check out the rest of the GYCO ~ Cranberry recipes!!
Cranberry whoopie pies?! Shut up! I think I’m in love! I totally get what you mean about the whole texture thing but I think you’re onto something with the buttercream. Yum!
Almond and cranberry together sound fantastic.
Cranberry buttercream sounds mighty tasty!
Thank you Michelle! It was mighty tasty, not too strong of a flavor 🙂
haha! Jaime I am busting up over here! This post is flipping awesome! You can blame the cranberry ingredient on that Julie..yep- yep that was her pick..But I happen to like cranberries..and you are just a funny texture no like kind of girl huh? haha! Great post my darlin’ thank you SO much for partying with us again for this round!!!
These look so good…I love whoopie pies! Love how you used cranberries in this!