This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and Quaker. All opinions are mine alone. #QuakerUp #MyOatsCreation #CollectiveBias
Candied Yams get a new flavor with the addition of whole grain oats & cranberries with this recipe perfect for your Thanksgiving table!
Thanksgiving just isn’t Thanksgiving without Candied Yams. There’s just something about that sweet, buttery goodness topped off with golden, melty marshmallows. Plus it’s one of the few vegetable related side dishes that I can be sure Princess P is going to eat without argument!
Even though I love the traditional Candied Yams, I have a favorite recipe that takes the sweet side dish to a whole new level! With the additional of dried cranberries, cinnamon & oats, it’s a dish everyone in the family will love!
I knew this was going to be my dish contribution to all of the family dinners this year & since I want to make sure I have everything figured out perfectly for a recipe before I feed it to anyone other than the Hubs, I of course had to do a test run! So when I went grocery shopping at my neighborhood Target this weekend, I picked up everything I needed to bake some yams! Of course I’ve got to have my Quaker Old Fashioned Oats – which, how cute does the Quaker Man look all decked out for the Winter weather on the Limited Edition packaging?? I love it!
So now we can get cooking! This recipe is amazingly easy to put together!
It’s made just like traditional candied yams, just with a few extra ingredients. You only need a casserole dish, a bowl & a measuring cup & you’re all set! It comes together in about 5 minutes & then bakes for about 40. Then you’ve got a delicious, not as super sweet as the normal side dish!
- 2 cans (15 ounces) yams, drained & cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Quaker Old Fashioned Oats
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- about 1/2 mini marshmallows (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a 1 & 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Gently toss the yams & the cranberries together in the prepared dish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, brown sugar, Oats, butter & cinnamon until well combined. Add about half of the Oat mixture to the yams & cranberries. Gently toss to combine. Sprinkle the remaining oat mixture over the top of the yam mixture.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the oven & sprinkle the marshmallows across the top of the dish if using. Return to the oven & bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the marshmallows are starting to turn golden & begin to expand & melt.