I’m a little late getting this recipe posted for y’all. This is another recipe I made for one of our Easter family get togethers & we absolutely loved it! I forgot to take pictures then so that just gave me a perfect excuse to make this cucumber salad again!
I served the salad as a side dish with simple chicken thighs that I had marinated in creamy Italian dressing & then baked at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes. A wonderful, simple, healthy meal!
SWEET & SPICY CUCUMBER SALAD
YIELD: 3 servings
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise & sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- Place the cucumber slices in a colander sitting over a bowl. Sprinkle the slices with the salt and toss well. Let sit in the fridge for about 1 hour. Toss the cucumbers a few times while they drain, I tried to do it every 15 minutes. While the slices are draining, prepare marinade below.
- Combine the vinegar, water, sugar and red pepper in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cook until the marinade is reduced to about a 1/3 cup. If for some reason you boil for too long, just add a little water until you have 1/3 cup. Remove the reduction from heat and add the minced onion. Let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- When the cucumbers are done resting, pat them dry with a few paper towels and then combine them with the vinegar reduction. Refrigerate until well chilled – I made mine early afternoon & let it sit in the fridge until dinner, probably at least 5 hours.
RECIPE INSPIRED BY: Our Best Bites
What’s your favorite recipe using cucumbers?